Sunday, December 13, 2009

December 13, 2009


Those dreaded family Christmastime gatherings... I used to wonder what people were so angry about... Christmas Eve at my grandparents house with all my cousins there, was my favorite night of the year. But, as we got older and we were more aware of the adults behavior... well, I started to understand why people didn't want to be anywhere near their relatives on Christmas!
There are a couple of happy faces here in this pic, but the look on my cousin Dawn's face kinda sums up what the coming years would bring... maybe she knew something then that would take me years to be aware of. We were only 6 cousins at the time, but there would be two more added for a full compliment of 8. Some of us are still in contact from time to time, but, with the passing of years and the passing of the grandparents and one uncle, the family dynamics have changed dramatically, everyone making their own families and taking on new traditions and types of gatherings.
One comment on the tree... my grandparents were too picky. They let the grandkids decorate the whole thing. I was the oldest, so as usual the oldest and tallest got the lighting detail. They used the same old "toilet brush" style artificial tree every year, and it always looked lovely, a great Christmas Eve at Grandma and Grandaddy's house every year.
Days 'til Christmas........................ 12!

No comments:

Post a Comment