Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sunday, September 6, 2009


Here we are with another great vintage wedding picture. I found this on one the Internet and I liked the look of it. The picture, I think, was taking at a wedding in the 1950's somewhere in England. If it hadn't said that it was in England, I think I would have guessed that anyway. It just looks like a wedding in England to me. In fact, the bride's gown and bouquet look a lot like Princess Margaret's dress and flowers. The clean lines and simple design of this dress and the muted cascade of the bouquet is what is similar in my eyes.

The bridesmaids flowers are interesting because of their shape. The floral content looks to be carnations and plumosus fern. However they are designed to be carried across the left forearm. But, they aren't necessarily styled to be arm or presentation bouquets as I refer to them. These are quite a bit shorter than an arm bouquet you would see these days. I do like the look. I am sure the florist was able to make them ahead with plenty of time since carnations are so hearty and long lived. This kinda make me wish that brides today would turn their tastes back to the heartier flowers like carnations, orchids, and chrysanthemums. It would make things a lot easier and less stressful on the florist, especially in respect to the heat we have to consider in my part of the world. Today's brides with their demands for garden roses, tulips, gardenias, freesia, lisianthus, etc. really make it difficult for the florist to get work done ahead of time when considering temperatures, storage and transportation. Bouquets of carnations and mums dry very nicely for keepsakes too.

Royal Wedding Tidbit for the day... Princess Diana wore a gown designed by the Emanuels, it consisted of antique lace sewn on with gold thread and the taffeta train was 25 feet long! The dress was kept top secret, so tight was the security that the designers made fake sketches and threw them in the garbage in an attempt to throw the media off the trail of the true design.

Thanks for checkin in, see you here tomorrow, which is Labor Day 2009. Terry.

No comments:

Post a Comment