Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September 2, 2009


Hi Everyone, another day for flowers and flowers for royal weddings. The picture to the left is a bouquet that I created way back in the year 1999. I was, at the time subscribing to a magazine entitled Flowers &. It is a monthly floral design magazine that I was turned onto while working retail floral. Every year they hosted a design contest. In late 1999 the yearly contest was announced for vintage wedding flowers and entrants were asked to submit a wedding arrangement from the past 100 years, since it was the turn of the millennium that year. The design I chose was of a "shower cascade" bouquet. I had always admired the bridal bouquets from the early 20th century with their trailing foliages and abundance of ribbon decoration. The bouquet I created contained white cymbidium orchids, stephanotis (some threaded on the trailing ribbon), miniature white calla lilies, viburnum (green snowball looking stuff), and tons of feathery trailing plumosus fern. Well my entry didn't win, however, I learned some great lessons from designing this and photographing my work. Later a more seasoned designer told me in the future to always use a black fabric for a back drop. The black background would show the flowers in more detail in the photo. Also, I went backed and looked at a lot of turn of the century 1899-1900 ear bouquets and realized that the ribbon I had used was way to thin. A broader ribbon was always used. The thin variety I used was simply swallowed up by the fern and really made no impact... live and learn.
Royal Wedding Tidbit for the day... President and Mrs. Truman sent a wedding gift to the young Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip. The President and First Lady's gift was a covered Steuben glass vase with a design of a carousel or merry-go-round etched in the glass.
Till tomorrow, Terry.

No comments:

Post a Comment